Monday, January 18, 2010

My Newest "Mommy" idea

Do any of you feel like you have to entertain your toddler? Maybe my daughter (we'll call her Lenni) is the only one, but she does not like playing by herself. I'm pregnant, yes, but this child can't come soon enough to be a little friend for my girl. Whenever we are home alone she is needy and always wanting me to pick her up. She'll play with her toys sure but only if I'm right there on the floor with her. Describing her in this way may shock people who know her because when we are not home she is a social butterfly! Never whines, plays with everyone and is very independent. Even when we are out and about running errands or what not, she is always very good.

So here is the new idea! I am going to start scheduling 45 min. each day where Lenni and I do a fun activity at home. Seems like all of our fun activities are outside or away from home, so this will be a change for us. I've made up a name for it and it will be at the same time every day. I'm going to call it fun time. So each day when she is getting antsy or wanting too much attention I'm just going to tell her that she has to wait until fun time. It will be our "mommy and me" activity at home everyday.

Lenni seems really good with repetition so hopefully after doing this for a couple days she'll start understanding, remembering and getting excited for fun time. She's 16 months right now, so if your child is older I'm sure they'll catch on a lot faster! I'll update more on fun time every friday with the 411 on how Lenni is doing with it and all the fun things we have done each day that week. If you have ideas of your own I'd love to hear some!!

It's ok for us Moms to have time for ourselves! But that means that our children are going to have time to themselves while we are having our time. I know I'll feel a whole lot better about making Lenni play with her toys without me when I have already had some quality time with her that day. She is my first priority and I'd never want her to feel neglected. This will help us both get our time together and alone!

2 comments:

Mabis said...

I really like that!!! Bastian is the same way as your baby, he loves people, and he doesn't fuss around them, but when we get home is horrible or if we are around him with other people is the same way just wanting to be curious and fussy and people tell me, he wasn't that way when you weren't here. And I feel bad if I don't pay attention to him but you are right him and I have to have our own moments. :)

Danielle said...

I started doing this just the other day. I scheduled out our days so that all of our time is structured. Of course we are flexible, but when there's not much planned, I have our schedule to look at. It has things like mom and baby play, baby in her room to play alone, baking time with mom, reading time, craft time alone, and craft time with mom, and then of course eating and nap time. I read a book about how much toddlers need structure and it is so true. Luci has been doing much better lately at not needing me to entertain her. :)I had to use a timer at first and set it for 5 minutes and then slowly worked up to the amount of time that she could play by herself. The book is called Toddlerwise.

$3.4 Billion in Free Scholarships.